At this time, the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health is following AAMC guidelines regarding visiting student rotations.
The BerbeeWalsh Department of Emergency Medicine warmly welcomes fourth-year medical students with an interest in Emergency Medicine from all across the nation; our excellent faculty are dedicated to sharing their knowledge and enthusiasm for the specialty. The Department encourages qualified underrepresented medical students (URM) seeking external emergency medicine rotations to apply for our diversity scholarship for visiting students.
The mission of the scholarship is to expose minority medical students from underrepresented backgrounds to the training program in the Department of Emergency Medicine. The award aims to increase the number of minority trainees in the emergency medicine residency program at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and in the specialty of emergency medicine in general.
- $1500 stipend to be used toward travel, housing, and/or application and elective fees
- Mentorship & networking - scholars are assigned faculty and senior resident mentors
- Guaranteed consideration for emergency medicine residency interview at UW
- Departmental Standardized Letter of Evaluation (SLOE)
Our innovative 4-week Advanced Elective rotation is a sub-intern-level experience for students applying to an emergency medicine residency. The rotation allows students to independently manage acutely ill patients with a broad range of presenting problems. We also provide advanced simulation experiences that help students develop real-time teamwork and decision-making skills under pressure. This elective is consistently rated one of the best advanced elective experiences in the medical school.
Upcoming Rotation Dates:
- July 5–29, 2022
- August 1–26, 2022
- August 29 – September 23, 2022
For details on the process, please see the Visiting Medical Student website of the School of Medicine and Public Health. The UW rotation for visiting students will open for applications in VSAS/VSLO on May 1, 2022.
- The student is a U.S. citizen, Canadian citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- The student is currently enrolled in an LCME or AOA accredited medical school
- The student is in his/her final year of training at the time they will be rotating in the School of Medicine and Public Health
- The student has received a passing score on USMLE Step 1
This competitive scholarship is open to underrepresented fourth-year medical students who have expressed interest in applying to the University of Wisconsin Emergency Medicine Residency Program. Priority deadline for the July rotation is June 1, 2022, but applications for all rotations are accepted on a rolling basis.
To apply, please submit the following items and/or questions about the scholarship or application process to Niki Hagen, Clerkship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completed scholarship application
- Letter of intent
- Letter of support from core Clerkship Director (500 words)
- Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial transcript
- Step 1 score report
Learn more about additional opportunities at the
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health...