Sara Damewood, MD
Division Director, Emergency Ultrasound
Director, Advanced Emergency Ultrasound Fellowship
Physician Lead, Coding, Billing, and Documentation
Associate Professor (CHS)
- Undergraduate: Wright State University
- Medical School: The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Residency: Albany Medical College - Chief Resident
- Fellowship: Johns Hopkins University - Ultrasound
Sara Damewood, MD is the Division Director of Emergency Ultrasound and Advanced Emergency Ultrasound Fellowship Director at the University of Wisconsin Department of Emergency Medicine. Her interests within ultrasound include simulation, measuring ultrasound competency, and fellowship education.
Dr. Damewood oversees all aspects of DEM ultrasound operations and education for all levels of learners. Under her leadership, significant advances in archiving and reviewing clinical ultrasound images have led to improved ED patient care. She developed a clinical ultrasound fellowship in 2014, with graduating fellows into academic faculty and ultrasound leaders in community EDs. She was instrumental in the rollout of ultrasound for UW Med Flight providers, and also initiated a longitudinal research project exploring cardiopulmonary ultrasound findings in septic shock, in collaboration with the UW Department of Medicine's Division of Pulmonary Critical Care. She is currently involved in projects with ultrasound assessing aspiration pneumonia, 3D printing models, and prehospital care.
Nationally, Dr. Damewood is recognized as a leader in the clinical ultrasound community. She served as the co-chair of the ACEP Ultrasound section simulation subcommittee. She has also served as chair of the Society of Clinical Ultrasound Fellowships program development committee, and played a significant role in the development of ultrasound fellowships nationwide. Currently, she is serving as the inaugural chair of the Emergency Ultrasound Fellowship Accreditation Council (EUFAC).
Recent Honors & Awards
- Impact Award, UW School of Medicine and Public Health Group on Women in Medicine and Science, 2021
- Shazam Award, Society of Clinical Ultrasound Fellowships, 2020
- Innovation in Clinical Ultrasound Education Award, Emergency Ultrasound Section of the American College of Emergency Physicians, 2019