The University of Wisconsin-Madison warmly welcomes fourth year medical students with an interest in Emergency Medicine (EM) from all across the nation. Our faculty are dedicated to sharing their knowledge and enthusiasm for emergency medicine with students at all levels of training.
We offer a variety of experiences for students, based upon individual interests. Our innovative rotation allows students the unique opportunities to manage critically ill simulated patients and develop real-time decision-making and teamwork skills. This elective is consistently rated as one of the best fourth-year experiences and we hope your experience will be the same. All students applying for residency in emergency medicine can request a departmental SLOE (Standardized Letter of Evaluation).
Thank you for interest in rotating at the University of Wisconsin Department of Emergency Medicine. Although we receive many applications, most students with expressed interest will have the opportunity to rotate with us. Please note the University of Wisconsin is in the process of transitioning the application process to the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS). For further information on the application process, please reference the medical school website at UWSMPH - Visiting Students.
The University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and Department of Emergency Medicine requires the following documentation for visiting student applications:
- VSAS standard application
- Letter of Interest (please include the specialty in which you are applying, any unique attributes or experiences and connections you may have to Madison and/or Wisconsin) uploaded to VSAS supplemental documents
- CV uploaded to VSAS
- Unofficial medical school transcript uploaded to VSAS
- USMLE Step 1 score report uploaded to VSAS supplemental documents
- AAMC Standard Immunization uploaded to VSAS
- Current clear chest x-ray required for previous history of positive PPD (regardless of any history of vaccination with BCG)
- Wisconsin Background Information Disclosure form (form found in VSAS)
- BLS/ACLS or CPR card that is current at the time of your rotation uploaded to VSAS supplemental documents
- Confirmation of affiliation agreement between home school and University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
Diversity Scholarship for Visiting Medical Students
The University of Wisconsin BerbeeWalsh Department of Emergency Medicine is proud to announce a diversity scholarship for visiting medical students.
Diversity is central to the mission of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (UWSMPH) and the BerbeeWalsh Department of Emergency Medicine in meeting the health needs of the people of Wisconsin and beyond through excellence in education, research, patient care, and service. Therefore, we are committed to training a diverse group of clinicians and scholars while maintaining an open, inclusive, and respectful learning and working environment. To support these goals, the BerbeeWalsh Department of Emergency Medicine offers the Underrepresented Minority Visiting Elective Scholarship for students pursuing a visiting elective in Emergency Medicine.
Interested students are encouraged to apply using the application form below. Please complete the attached application and return to email@example.com by June 1st.